Sunday, April 19, 2015

Shakespeare's Birthday

Today, we (which includes Louisa, Peter, Griffin, Sophia and assorted other young people) enjoyed an afternoon at the Shakespeare Library and Theater.  One of the very fun things was doing a reading from Shakespeare in the theater.  The picture above is from the t-shirt I got from my participation. I read some of Phoebe's lines from "As You Like It."

"Think not I love him, though I ask for him.
Tis but a peevish boy---yet he talks well--
But what I care for words?  Yet words do well
When he that speaks them pleases those that hear.
It is a pretty youth--not very pretty---
But sure he's proud--and yet his pride becomes him.
He'll make a proper man.  The best thing in him
Is his complexion; and faster than his tongue
Did make offense, his eye did heal it up.
He is not very tall--yet for his years he's tall.
His leg is but so-so---and yet 'tis well.
There was a pretty redness in his lip,
A little riper and more lusty red
Than that mixed in his cheek:  'twas just the difference
Betwixt the constant red and mingled damask.

Picture below is me reading that piece. I look very casual and was wearing a t-shirt that said, "Canst thou bring me to the party?"  I made to the party and enjoyed the fun.




 The young people were particularly encouraged to participate and they did.  Sophia especially enjoyed it.  They also had  music, appearances by "The Queen" and a lot of other activities. Great fun!  We stayed much longer than we had anticipated and will go back next year. Happy Birthday Shakespeare.  Griffin asked why we were going to a birthday party for someone who was dead.  Well, to honor him and his work!

No comments:

Post a Comment