Sunday, September 18, 2011

High School Reunion--Go SPARTANS!


Last weekend, I went to my high school class reunion.  Our school, San Juan High School is in Citrus Heights, CA....near Sacramento.  The reunion was great.  I connected with some "old" friends and made some new ones.  Our class was pretty big--over 500, so even then I didn't know everyone.  Plus, I am realizing it was pretty "cliquish"--people pretty much stayed with their own groups.The whole school is now about 600, so they have had what they call "enrollment decline."  

Saturday morning was a tour of the high school, which was amazing.  The gym, the auditorium, cafeteria and the lockers are still the same---after 50 years!!!!!  It really brought me back.  The lockers must have been painted, but they are still the same color.   A new curriculum has been added, though, and it is "state of the art," and will train students so they can get good-paying jobs right out of high school. There are special classrooms for tv and theater, auto shop, wood shop and culinary.  The tv room, for example, is an actual tv studio with several cameras, including one on tracks, and a control room.  The auto shop is more modern than the place I take my car!  The culinary wing includes a restaurant, which actually serves lunch to the faculty and public.  These are not your old "drama," "shop" and "home economics" classrooms.  They were dazzling.  Plus, the teachers have actually worked in the businesses they are teaching.   I'd go back if they'd let me.  
That tour was the highlight for me.  The rest of the events were a "mixer," a banquet, and a picnic.  The cake shown above is one of several at the banquet.

This is how I looked at age 17--my picture from the yearbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment