Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ai Weiwei



Followers of this blog know that if this is coming from Washington DC, it is likely to be about art.  In DC, there are so many free museums, and they are first class!  This is coming to you from the Smithsonian, specifically, the Hirshhorn Museum which specializes in contemporary art.  The physical building is a "doughnut" and the photo above shows the interior courtyard with a piece done by Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei. 

The rooster above is part of a zodiac series done by Ai Weiwei and installed in the courtyard.  Twelve pieces are there showing the various animals of the chinese zodiac.  The rest of the Ai Weiwei exhibit is on the second floor--virtually the whole second floor--and one piece on the third floor.  I think there are also some pieces in the Sackler Museum, but I didn't see them.

I like to keep my blog entries short, but Ai Weiwei is a special case.  I went yesterday and then back today to see this show, and nothing stops me from going again. It is remarkable.  There are photographs, woodwork, a light sculpture, a snake made of backpacks of children killed in an earthquake and much, much more.  All of the work is engaging, provocative and beautifully executed.  Weiwei is known for being a dissident and the Chinese government hates and harasses him.  However, he keeps producing and speaking up.  I have so much respect.  He also takes common objects and makes them into sculptures, such as the one of chairs that I show below.  Please ignore the people...they are just viewers, not part of the sculpture.  There's also one of bicycles...specifically, bicycles called "forever."  It is all great, believe me.  

Part of the power of the show is quotes from Ai Weiwei that are posted on the walls about the work::.  The quote relating to the chairs is: 

"I make the useful become not useful; these objects combine the practical with change and illusion.  They open up a perspective so that we can have an understanding of the material or an understanding of space.  It is a basis for dealing with perception, and when you think about how people use an object, you're also using so-called knowledge in the sense that "useful" has a meaning.  The meaning is the use.  And that plays a great role in human understanding and culture."

I planned to include in this post some other art I've seen in the past couple of days (which is also good)...but it will have to wait.  My honors right now are with Ai Weiwei.




No comments:

Post a Comment