Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Congressional Cemetery with Sophia


Last Monday my granddaughter Sophia had no school.  It was parent-teacher conference day.  I had planned to go on the stroll at Congressional Cemetery and so I took her with me.  The weather was a little cold so she was gladly wearing her new jacket.  I think she had more fun than she thought she would.  It is very interesting.

I was particularly interested in showing her a sculpture of a girl with a butterfly.  I didn't get a good picture, but got this one off of the web:

It was taken when the monument was dedicated.  Elizabeth Reeves Eydt died when she was eight years old.  She had been sick for some time.  If you google her name, there is a blog that talks about her hospitalization and suffering.  I don't actually recommend reading it.  It is very sad.   

The statue is very pretty, and the butterfly is golden.   One of the charming things about the monument is the bronzed sandals behind it, as if the girl had left her sandals. 


We strolled around the cemetery and enjoyed the warming day and the clear blue skies.  It is always good to get out and Congressional Cemetery always has something interesting.

3 comments:

  1. I'm Elisabeth's Dad. Thank you for taking Sophia to her memorial and writing about it. It was very special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, the "sandals" are symbol of her life on Earth and what she left behind. They were cast from her actual footwear. Gold leaf does adorn the butterfly. It's wonderful that you are giving Sophia diverse travel experiences, local and otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting me know you appreciated by blogpost about Elisabeth's memorial. It sounds like she was a very special girl.

    ReplyDelete