Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Weekly "strolls" at Congressional Cemetery



I have been meeting up with a few friends for a stroll in Congressional Cemetery for a few weeks. It's a nice group, led by Vira and Bill Sistosik on Monday mornings.  Every week I see something new that I hadn't noticed before.  It really is an interesting cemetery. My plan is to write a post about markers in the cemetery each week that I go.  Some of the people buried in the cemetery are famous...some not so much.  The other interesting thing is that quite a few of the markers are for people who haven't died yet.  I am familiar with that happening in a couple when one dies before the other but, at this cemetery, there are examples where neither has died yet.  They just have reserved a spot--maybe in a special spot or by a special tree. I'll post more about that later.

This week I am featuring a marble cube set an an angle.  It is very artistic, at least I think so. It is for two men, who are both deceased. They were both involved in the arts.




Apologies that the pictures are not better.   Charles Fowler wrote and frequently spoke about the arts and was Director of Natural Cultural Resources Inc.   He was a champion of arts in education.


Kenneth Dresser was also very involved in the arts.  I learned that the reference to his creation of artistry that "enchanted millions" referred to his creation of the Electric Light Parade at Disneyland, the Water Pageant at Epcot and the Fantasy of Lights at Calaway Gardens in Georgia.  I have seen the Parade in Disneyland but not the other sights.

We walked all through the cemetery and it was a beautiful day.  I plan to go again next Monday.


























These men were obviously very connected to each other and left a marker that remembered their lives  together and their relationship.

Oh, yes, I will talk in the future about some of the more traditional headstones, but this one spoke to me because the headstone itself is very beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment