Wednesday, December 9, 2015

San Francisco November 12

I began my first full day in San Franncisco by taking a bus to Fishermans's Wharf.  I was compelled to see the Golden Gate Bridge and check out a familiar neighborhood.  The bus is the #30 Stockton Street, in case anyone cares about that. I was just happy because it was a bus I used to use a lot....and it seems the route is the same.  I was a little early in my outing, as I was still on Eastern time, but it worked out.  I walked to the park on the waterfront and had a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge.


I walked around quite a bit and finally ended up at a Starbucks's.  It was a great spot for my breakfast and then I noticed that it was next to a stop for the J Line.  The J Line is a streetcar line that runs old rejuvenated streetcars.  I was excited to see one from Washington DC, though I didn't take it because I was still eating my breakfast.  It turns out that San Francisco has been successful in buying and restoring streetcars from cities across the country.  This is the DC Streetcar.  It really is.

  
I walked around a little bit more and ended up going to Ghirardelli Square. It was fun to see one of my favorite fountains of mermaids nursing their young.





I saw an "Elizabeth W" shop and went in.  My favorite fragrance is Elizabeth W's "Vetiver."  I told the clerk the story about how I once tried it at Gump's (downtown SF) and walked out the store and a woman asked me what the fragrance was because she loved it.  I went back in and bought it.  This time, I got a bottle at the Elizabeth W store, but planned to go to Gump's sometime during this visit.  I used to work there....in the jewelry department!  Very nice!

I also used to work at Atwood Imports near Ghirardelli Square.  Atwood's is gone now, but I did recognize the building.  I didn't take a picture, which I regret.  I walked back to the J Line stop.  I did see an art gallery along the way with a plein air show.  The artist is David Horowitz.  This poster is on the outside of the gallery.  His work is colorful and fresh.  I was glad I took a look at it.



I then took the streetcar to downtown.  I noticed a  pretty interesting sight in that some streets are painted bright red, in either lane or both.I think that means it is prohibited for cars, but my picture shows a car driving and one parked. This was near Union Square.  

 
I walked back to the hotel from Market Street.  This is the day that I walked 19,500 steps.  I went into Vesuvio's, another place I used to hang out and it was pretty much the same, though not as friendly because I didn't know anyone.  After that, I walked around a little more and topped the day off with a very expensive dinner at "The Stinking Rose."  I had garlic-laced prime rib!  That's enough for one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment