Friday, December 18, 2015

San Francisco Saturday, November 14

I wanted to have breakfast Saturday morning at Caffe Trieste, just a couple of blocks away.  More about that special place later.  On the way, I realized that I had passed some books hanging in the air several times and had never stopped to see what it was about.  They aren't really books, but are lights in the shape of books and they do light up at night.   This is what they look like in the morning:




I read the plaque and learned that the installation is titled "Language of the Birds."  It is a city sponsored work of art.  The description explains " 'the language of the birds' is considered a divine language birds use to communicate with the initiated. Here a flock of books takes off from the plaza to fly the urban gullies of the city."  It really does look like birds at first.  On the pavement below, there are scattered words that seem to have fallen from the books.


This installation is in a strange spot, across the street from the Condor Club, which was famous in the sixties for topless female dancers, notably Carol Doda.  (She died while I was in San Francisco and the Condor Club had a memorial banner put up.)  This spot is also close to City Lights Books.  I was glad I stopped to see what it was about.

I continued along to the Caffe Trieste, where I had a delicious quiche breakfast.  Caffe Trieste is a favorite spot of mine.  It attracts all kinds of people and is very quirky.  I didn't get a good picture, but here is one from the internet:


There's a wood stove and there is a jukebox that h   as lots of Italian opera.  The tables are small and some are mosaics.  They usually get shoved together like in the photo above.  There often is live music, too---always Italian!  Love that place!

I then set out by bus to go to the Asian Art Museum.  It used to be at Golden Gate Park, but now is near the Civic Center.  It is a beautiful building and the art is amazing.   I spent the rest of the day there as it is a large museum.  In addition to the permanent displays, they had a special show, "Looking East:  How Japan Inspired Monet, Van Gogh, and other Western Artists."  I really enjoyed that show. My lunch as at the museum cafe, where I had Salmon with Miso Sauce.  Delicious.

After leaving the show, I went to an art store close to the hotel.  It was quite a comprehensive store, and a lot of fun....though I didn't buy much.  While I was there, I realized that it used to be "The Hippodrome." and I once went to a Muddy Waters rehearsal there....and smoked a joint with the band!  Memories!

I had dinner at Molly Malones, which used to be the Coffee Gallery.  It is quite different now, but the staff was nicer than any of the other places I used to frequent.  I have a soft spot for that place as it is where I met Gordon Reynolds when he was a bartender and I was a waitress.  It was a real "60s" place---Bob Dylan, Tim Hardin, Pat Paulsen, and others would come in.  Now, it is just a kind of cozy neighborhood place.



Cafe Trieste

Asian Art
Molly Malones


No comments:

Post a Comment