Thursday, October 12, 2017

On my own in Valencia



After a great watercolor workshop with Dalvaro Art Holidays, their driver took me from Las Orquedias to the city of Valencia.

I loved the air bnb apartment which was on Calle Quart in the old part of the city.  It was within walking distance of many of the sites I hoped to see.  I looked up the nearest grocery store and went out to find it and explore the neighborhood.  I never did find it, but I did get a good idea of the neighborhood and found a nice corner market.   Because the Spaniards eat so late--like 8:30 at the earliest, I thought I would have to fix my own dinner.  I'm not keen on eating by myself late at night.  I bought salmon, veggies and rice as a take-out that just needed to be warmed.  It was perfect, and nicely spiced.

Sunday was my first full day in Valencia.  I discovered that my apartment was very close to where I had painted last week with Francesco, Anne and Rita.  The above photo is in the square where we were, although it is a different angle.  It is a central spot and just a short walk from my apartment.  It was also on the way to the Valencia Cathedral, where I went to Mass, which I like to do when travelling.  I am not a Catholic, but love to see a Mass in a beautiful cathedral and hear it in another language.  This one was particularly nice because it seemed like the priest really was in tune with the local people--he was smiling and enjoying the occasion.  I also wanted to see the "holy grail" of Valencia, which is possibly a cup that Jesus used at the Last Supper.  It is an agate bowl and is mounted on a holder.  The agate bowl has been dated to 100-50 BC, so it is possible.
The handle and stem were added during the medieval ages.  Still later, an alabaster base that is apparently Islamic (because of writing on it) was added.   If you are interested in knowing more, here is a link to the cathedral's description:
http://www.catedraldevalencia.es/en/el-santo-caliz_historia.php
As you can tell, I found it very interesting.  Above is my picture, though I couldn't get close.  It is in the lighted alcove behind the altar.  Here's a picture from the website:

I also explored other artifacts and shrines in the Cathedral, including a rather disturbing one--the arm of Saint Vincent...all shriveled up.

Because I was in Spain and it was Sunday, I then had a two-hour lunch (three courses) at a restaurant on the plaza and returned to my room for a siesta.   After my siesta, it was about 4:30 pm!  A very relaxed day.  I studied my Lonely Planet Guide to Valencia and did a little more exploring in the neighborhood, including the Torres which were just up the street from my apartment.  They are Gothic, built in the 1400s and are very impressive.  They were part of a defensive wall around the central city.  This view is actually from the "new" side of the towers, not the ancient city where my apartment was.

I also discovered a whole new area of restaurants and shops.  It was too early for dinner in a Spanish restaurant, so I had leftovers from the night before and watched Spanish news on TV.  They were very interested in the Catalonian vote for independence, which was a week away.  Valencia is not part of Catalonia, but is just a little South, so interest was high.  I planned my next few days and drifted off to sleep.  Although my street was busy, and had many restaurants and a nightclub, it was not noisy because I had the European shutters that are on the outside of the windows and pretty much block sound as well as light.  My room was in the interior of the building, too, and off a cute little patio.




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences in Valencia! Good for you for exploring on your own independently!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jansi. I am glad I did it. I have been on my own in other places, too...like Paris and San Juan Puerto Rico. It can be a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you weren't totally on your own in Paris... :-)

      Delete
  3. Right you are, Kendra. I didn't have anyone like you and Matts to fall back on when I was in Valencia...but I did in Paris. I remember that Matts hailed the taxi for me to go to the airport when I left and that you and I had a nice meet-up for snacks...in addition to the sumptuous Angelina treats that we enjoyed with Louisa.

    ReplyDelete