Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Dalvaro Art Holiday Valencia, Spain


I recently returned from a great trip to Spain. The area I visited was Valencia.  I chose this trip primarily to take a watercolor workshop from Francesco Fontana, a truly inspiring watercolor artist.  I am posting about the art instruction and painting opportunities on my Plum Gallery blog http://plumgallery.blogspot.com/.

This blog will focus on the hospitality of Dalvaro Art Holidays at Las Orquideas villa.  The villa is about an hour away from Valencia.  The above photograph was taken from the web because I didn't  get a good one while I was there.  However, here is one in the garden leading to the swimming pool.



The Dalvaro Art Holiday was an amazing experience for me.  First of all, when they say it is all inclusive, it really is!  I was picked up at the airport on a Sunday afternoon by Harold, husband of Loli Alvaro. and brought to the villa .  I was given a brief tour and shown to my private room with a private bath and a view of the swimming pool.

From the first night I began to realize how special it was.  We had a little reception with "starters" and a gourmet meal.  Loli and the chef prepared memorable meals throughout the week, but I didn't take notes on the food.  I regret that now.  In addition, all of the needed art supplies were provided.  And we had a driver to take us to places where we could paint "in plein air" with Francesco's instruction.

The first day we stayed in the on-site studio, got our supplies and some instruction and painted in the gardens around the villa.  I acclimatized myself to the pace:  late lunch, siesta, afternoon sessions, and late dinners.  I grew very fond of the siestas.

On Tuesday, we went to the local village of Benigamin, where Loli seems to know everyone and where she has a gallery.  We went back to the villa and had a paella lunch and then a siesta.   Later that day, we went to a castle dating to the Moorish occupation in the village of Xativa.   We had to leave earlier than we intended, as the site was closed at 7.  Back at the villa, we had an excellent tapas meal, including salad, chicken, and fish skewers.  We also always had a dessert.  I was afraid I would gain weight, but didn't actually care!  Dinner is about 8:30, so nights are later than I am used to.  I loved it.

The next morning, after a buffet breakfast that always includes lots of fruit, we went back to Xativa and painted in the town square.  Back at the villa, there was more great food and including this (which was just the starter), showing that the food was presented artistically as well as being tasty:


On Thursday, we went to the city of Valencia.  We had planned to paint in the Placa de la Reina, but there was a funeral for a police officer and it was way too crowded.  We went to the nearby Placa de la Mare de Deu.  This is a good time to point out that I learned that there is a spcial dialect in Valencia...it actually is very different than the Spanish I was taught in school.   I never did pick it up.  In Valencia, we ate lunch at a local restaurant and then went back to the villa.  It was very hot  and I was a little sick when we got back, so I missed the afternoon painting session.   Loli made me some lemon tea and I watched CNN with Harold.  I was so surprised to see Susan Page on CNN.  I have met her a few times heere, and am a big fan.  She was talking about her interview with Hillary Clinton about "What Happened."   That was fun, and I recovered, of course, in time for a tasty dinner.

Friday, the last day, was pretty much a review and we spent time in the studio. I got a certificate of my completion of the workshop.

 It was, of course, also possible to fit a siesta into the plan.  In the evening, we went out for a special dinner in Benigamin, hosted by Loli and Harold.  It was very nice.

Saturday was an easy day.  I did a lot of reading in the morning, relaxing in the gardens, and then was driven to Valencia, the next stage of my adventure.  I'll reflect on that in a separate post.




1 comment: