Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting Down to the Last Few Days in DC

Wednesday, July 2


The big news of the day is a new minivan for the Smiths.  They're going to South Carolina Saturday and it will be great for their trip.  It's parked here at the back of the house.  It's a Toyota Sienna.


One of the fun things to do here is to eat popsicles on the front porch.  It's a little afternoon snack brea k.for us.  I  love Griffin's tie die soccer socks and Sophia has on her very fancy "Candyland" shoes....but has them on the on the wrong feet.  That happens about 80% of the time!  Why isn't it 50/50?


Painting is a big activity for me and Sophia.  Here we are at the dining room table.  She is working on a big watercolor and so am I.  The little car in the foreground was my subject for "NaSkeDraMo"--a sketch every day during the month of July. 


Sophia's friend Erin came over for dinner and then some dress-up fun.    They dressed as princesses---Sophia is a butterfly princess.  It can't get much better than that!



Mimi is a family member who hasn't got much press.  Here she is enjoying a quiet moment away from the kids on the back porch. 

Thursday, July 21

It was a very hot day and Sophia and I hung out at home after Soccer Camp.  Griffin went to Griffith's house.  We got in some painting time, and Sophia packed for the trip to South Carolina.  She has a Tinkerbell suitcase and she did a great job...remembering underwear as well as playclothes and dresses. 


July 22, Friday

Last full day in DC and it was a hot one.  The "heat index" was 118 degrees.  I think the temperature was 102.  Louisa took me to the post office in the morning to mail some packages, including paintings in a mailing tube.  The other things were heavy, and I didn't want to have to lug them around.  As it is, I have two suitcases to check in and one carryon and a backpack as my personal items.  Hey, it has been a long trip!   I was a little sad, and so it was doubly good that Louisa could take me.

In the afternoon, Sophia and I worked on a new art project.  We had some fancy paint and it had glitter glue and some glue with all kinds of "sparklies" to paint over....it was fun to try it.  In Sophia's sunflower above, you can see that it sparkles.  The painting was 100% her creation.

Tonight is my last night on this very memorable trip.  Peter took Griffin and Sophia to Cheverly Pool to meet with some friends and Louisa and I were able to have a nice dinner together at Pops in Alexandria.  Home tomorrow.  Many memories and I am glad I did this blog!   It's inspired me to keep it up with some of my more local adventures. 


1 comment:

  1. wow..I just did a scroll through your posts...what a fantastic time you had...very well documented. I guess my favorite things are always the paintings and drawing..but I confess, I really loved the "fabulous" pin too!

    ReplyDelete