Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Washington DC with the Smiths continued


...At the Smithsonian.

Monday July was pretty quiet on the home front.  In the evening, I went to a presentation at the Smithsonian that was very remarkable.  It was billed as "Cooking/Traveling Solo" and was presented by Janice Waugh, who has a blog, www.solotravelerblog.com, and  Joe Yonan, the Washington Post food and travel editor.  Janice and Joe believe that single is the way to go, and presented some strong arguments to support the cause.  I need to "percolate" that a bit, but understand their point.   On the cooking, I certainly always treat myself to good food and never question the fact that I am "only one." so I think I am on track with that.    On travel, I have been a bit reluctant to go by myself and always say that I want to travel with a guy, but I will keep up with Janice's blog and I think I could do it solo, based on her encouragement.  She has some tricks that make sense--including lots of good tips for women traveling by themselves.

On Tuesday, July 12, I walked with Sophia to Soccer Camp.  Griffin has been doing it for several weeks, but it was Sophia's first day.  Here's a picture of her with Coach David running one of their routines for warm-up.


After leaving her off, I got a chance to do some sketching and then go to museums.  My sketches will be on www.plumgallery.blogspot.com and the pictures of my museum tour, which turned into a love of sculptures, can be seen at my picasa albums.  Let me know if you want a link to that. But, as an appetizer, here is one of my favorites:


It is Roy Lichtenstein's "house."  A one-dimensional plane, that looks three-dimensional.   It was hard to choose from the many great sculptures I saw and so I recommend the Picasa album.   The other great thing is that I saw ALL of the current exhibits at the Hirshhorn--starting at the top and moving down!!!   And then went on to the Hirshhorn sculptures outside in the gardens.  I then crossed over and went to the National Gallery's Sculpture garden where I had lunch.   After all these outdoor sculptures, I went into the National Gallery West and connected with a talk about Thomas Cole that changed my whole impression of him  I had thought his paintings were very sentimental and learned how challenging they are.

I connected with the family that night at Mr. Henry's. Here's a sketch I did of Mr. Henry's table set-up:

Wednesday was a very quiet day.  We went to lunch at Matchbox, which is always a favorite for me, but I didn't take pictures.  Later, we had some music making at home:


We are having a great time.  It is something I will always remember.  Tomorrow brings new adventures.





No comments:

Post a Comment